[WikiEN-l] The current purges in English Wikipedia (...and my personal case)

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 14:50:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Charles Matthews <
charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>

> As far as I know, motivation is still a bad argument at AfD.  The basic
> "conflict of interest" point is not that motives should be pure,
> whatever that means, but that outside motivation should not be playing a
> role so large that the interests of the encyclopedia are pushed to one
> side.

And how should the role of outside motivation be determined? Personally, I
think "conflict of interest" and "outside motivation" arguments should be
completely verboten in deletion discussions - they are irrelevant and call
for pure speculation by participants. I don't care why an article was
created, what matters is the quality and value of the content itself.

Nathan