[WikiEN-l] The current purges in English Wikipedia (...and my personal case)

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 9 14:28:30 UTC 2009

Nathan wrote:
> On the contrary, my guess is quite a few
> articles about individuals and companies of mid-level fame were created by
> fans, friends, associates, employees, etc. Perhaps a deep review with
> WikiScanner will allow us to identify some of these suspect articles, and
> delete them because they were created with impure motives.

As far as I know, motivation is still a bad argument at AfD.  The basic
"conflict of interest" point is not that motives should be pure,
whatever that means, but that outside motivation should not be playing a
role so large that the interests of the encyclopedia are pushed to one side.
> There is a good debate to be had about paid editing, the reward board,
> content created with a conflict of interest, etc.
I have an impression I have seen this film before.

Charles