[WikiEN-l] Bible websites

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jul 7 05:02:34 UTC 2009

stevertigo wrote:
> Still I sort of took the liberty of interpreting his first statement a
> bit literally, and maybe out of context too, just to make a tangential
> reference to the fact that ~65% percent of us are devoutly atheistic,
> and yet are dealing, somewhat accurately, with technical aspects that
> directly affect theological sourcing. It's always slightly ironic when
> atheists deal with theological topics, and myself being, by design,
> one of the other ~35%, I felt a bit compelled to bring that up in as
> flat and contrite a way as possible.

Atheists who haven't gone so far as to make a devotion of their beliefs
are perhaps in a better position to deal with certain theological
subjects objectively. The atheist's faith is not committed to the truth
of a particular version of the Bible.  He disbelieves them all.  Yet
this allows him to view the Bible as purely a cultural and literary
artifact.

Ec