[WikiEN-l] Bible websites

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Mon Jul 6 03:31:04 UTC 2009

Andrew Gray wrote:
> For things like biblical quotations, it would seem that this is a
> marvellous niche for Wikisource, if we can figure out an elegant way
> to do it and keep the user functionality.

Wikisource has a complete translation in modern English, and it
already seems to be annotated with IDs for verses, e.g.

<http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Bible_(American_Standard)/John#3:16>

Bible links on Wikipedia don't uniformly use the bibleverse template,
editors just link to any random website. I think the vast majority of
links could go directly to the most recent PD translation on
Wikisource. The relevant template can be updated once every decade or
so as new works come into the public domain.

A lot of bible references don't have a link at all. Maybe we could add
a magic link feature, like we have for RFC and PMID. Then whenever
someone types something that looks like a bible verse reference in
plain text, MediaWiki would automatically convert it to a link. For
cultural neutrality it would obviously have to be internationalised
and support a number of other religious texts. Not impossible though.

-- Tim Starling