[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia:News suppression (was: News agencies are not RSs)

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Wed Jul 1 18:08:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009, David Goodman wrote:
> 1/
> when people should be "protected", is  not self-explanatory.  Some may
> feel that
> people are best protected by knowing the full truth in all cases.

But it would at least *say* it.

> 2/
> "doing right" is even more ambiguous of a concept than "improving the
> encyclopedia";
> the reason we have actual rules is that people will not always agree
> about such generalities

This would make sense if it was about anything other than IAR.  IAR
may technically be a rule, but it's about not following rules.  It's not
supposed to give exact instructions.  The only reason we even need this
change in the first place is that IAR as it is is _too_ specific.

I think that when we fix IAR, fixing it with a generality is perfectly
appropriate.  Sure, it can be interpreted a lot of ways.  IAR can be
interpreted in a lot of ways anyway.  It's like that.