[WikiEN-l] Notability and Fiction

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 1 10:58:44 UTC 2009

Surreptitiousness wrote:
> As a result of the recent RFC on Notability and Fiction, I've drafted an
> essay at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability_and_fiction.
> Feel free to edit and engage to reach a consensus on the issue, so that
> the current fractured state of play might be encouraged to heal itself.
> But please don't protect "positions".  We don;t need to restate [[WP:V]]
> for the umpteenth time, we already have it.  We just need to say that
> there are bad articles and there are good articles, and mainly bad
> articles are bad due to style rather than substance. When there's no
> substance, it is usually easy to see and such articles with regards
> fiction are not a "problem" for notability to "cure", they are a
> "problem" which is already "cured" by a number of other policies.
> Notability on Wikipedia has become too restricting and from my view it
> is time to roll it back and let each subject area define its own
> guidance, because we don't have a one size fits all approach, as evinced
> by [[WP:BLP]].  Every subject area is afflicted by different issues, and
> the solutions to those issues also differ. If Wikipedia is to continue,
> it needs to recognise that fact, and would that we had the leadership to
> recognise, reflect and build accordingly. Otherwise, I fear Wikipedia
> will stagnate. The greatest asset Wikipedia has is adaptability.  That
> adaptability is in danger of becoming stifled.

I don't really see what is going on there: but the essay seems to be
saying that an article is acceptable if it meets fundamental content
policy OR various other things, while I would think it acceptable if it
meets fundamental content policy AND various things. Further, it doesn't
do to mix up the status of an article and a topic. I wrote about this
once (from a different angle):
http://brianna.modernthings.org/article/149/charles-matthews-on-notability

Charles