[WikiEN-l] Notability and Fiction

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 1 10:39:45 UTC 2009

As a result of the recent RFC on Notability and Fiction, I've drafted an
essay at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability_and_fiction.
Feel free to edit and engage to reach a consensus on the issue, so that
the current fractured state of play might be encouraged to heal itself.
But please don't protect "positions".  We don;t need to restate [[WP:V]]
for the umpteenth time, we already have it.  We just need to say that
there are bad articles and there are good articles, and mainly bad
articles are bad due to style rather than substance. When there's no
substance, it is usually easy to see and such articles with regards
fiction are not a "problem" for notability to "cure", they are a
"problem" which is already "cured" by a number of other policies.
Notability on Wikipedia has become too restricting and from my view it
is time to roll it back and let each subject area define its own
guidance, because we don't have a one size fits all approach, as evinced
by [[WP:BLP]].  Every subject area is afflicted by different issues, and
the solutions to those issues also differ. If Wikipedia is to continue,
it needs to recognise that fact, and would that we had the leadership to
recognise, reflect and build accordingly. Otherwise, I fear Wikipedia
will stagnate. The greatest asset Wikipedia has is adaptability.  That
adaptability is in danger of becoming stifled.

User:Hiding