[WikiEN-l] Fair-use music samples in articles

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 19:19:29 UTC 2008

On 9/28/08, Carl Beckhorn <cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> The broader question "When do snippets of copyrighted songs meet the
> requirements of NFCC" is (as far as I can see) extremely difficult.

As far as I know, I have yet to see an example that actually meets
NFCC. Maybe I'm biased because I couldn't get the v-ggood jorbis
player to work.

But if I'm familiar with the song I can hum a few bars in my head
while I'm reading the article... you know, about 30 seconds worth...
only to ask "okay, so what's the point of this?"

Sometimes I wonder if uploaders rely too much on the "30-seconds won't
upset Reprise Records, not when anybody can download the whole song
from [redacted]" defense.

In any case the kazoo was much more a Jesse Fuller thing than of
Clapton but a "fair use" rationale would be more plausible in [[San
Francisco Bay Blues]] than in either bio.

—C.W.