[WikiEN-l] Are movie trailers "free enough" for Commons?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Oct 8 18:55:49 UTC 2008

Kevin Wong wrote:
> Well, placing movie trailers in articles raises the question if whether or
> not we are violating the Advertising policy and if we are straying too far
> from the informative side of things. This is interesting.

With that kind of reasoning we can use any argument to defeat
ourselves.  It ranks right there with those elementary mathematical
arguments that prove that 0 = 1, and that depend on a disguised division
by zero.

Advertising policy depends on the purpose for including the advertising
material.  The trailer is about some movie, and is used primarily to
illustrate an article about that movie.  To see the trailer the user
most likely needs to go to the relevant article first; it will not help
him to find the article.  We are not randomly presenting the trailer on
our main page.  The obvious fact that certain material was originally
produced for advertising does not imply that our use of the material is
advertising.

Ec