[WikiEN-l] BLPs: Wikipedia entry nearly scuppers rugby player's career

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 22:12:45 UTC 2008

On 10/1/08, Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) <newyorkbrad at gmail.com> wrote:
> In Wikipedia jargon, I could simply say that "you left Notability off your
> list [of NPOV, NOR, V]"

Brad, I can only compare this to [[You forgot Poland]] in terms of undue weight.

The holy hand grenade of "notability" is not a fundamental content
rule, only a set of wholly subjective criteria for users to badger
each other with on AFDs.

*Keep, subject is discussed in 50 sources, which is significant.
*Delete, subject is discussed in *only* 50 sources, which is pathetic
(i'm more notable than that).
**So write an article about yourself
***No, that would be COI.
****Then I'll write it for you.
*****No, that would be harassment.

Sounds about like:

*Support, user has almost 22 thousand edits.
*Oppose, user has less than 22 thousand edits.
**You were promoted with half that.
***That was a year ago.
****So you assume 100% inflation?
*****No, I have templates to calculate it.

> There is plenty of accurate, neutral, fully sourceable material about living
> persons that still has no place in Wikipedia.

If this is true it should be true whether or not the subject is living
(or is a person). As the adages go, if I can't say it to your face I
shouldn't say it behind your back. If I'm not allowed to mention it at
your wedding, I won't say it at your funeral either. etc. etc. etc.

—C.W.