[WikiEN-l] BLPs: Wikipedia entry nearly scuppers rugby player's career

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 21:31:02 UTC 2008

2008/10/1 Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) <newyorkbrad at gmail.com>:

> For context, your statement as quoted was: "The point of WP:BLP is (or
> should be) that our fundamental content rules NPOV, NOR, V are all that's
> needed - but we need to apply them very harshly and we really can't be
> eventualist about bad info in living bios."
> What about the advances we've made over the past two years in agreeing that
> the well-being of article subjects is also a legitimate consideration.  In
> Wikipedia jargon, I could simply say that "you left Notability off your
> list."  But it's a deeper sense of respect for our obligations, as reflected
> in such places as [[Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration/Badlydrawnjeff]] and
> [[/Footnoted quotes]].  See also [[Wikipedia:Requests for comment/Doc
> glasgow#Outside view by Newyorkbrad]]; [[Wikipedia:Requests for comment/QZ
> Deletion dispute#Outside view by Newyorkbrad]]; the DRV log for May 28, 2007
> (Hornbeck/Ownby); and the Shawn Hornbeck thread currently on ANI.
> There is plenty of accurate, neutral, fully sourceable material about living
> persons that still has no place in Wikipedia.  Or anywhere else on the
> Internet, really, but we can only control our own site.

That's covered, I think, by the "undue weight" provisions, which were
in WP:BLP since the beginning. (The example originally used was a
scientist who has gone through a messy divorce. He's famous for the
science, the personal life is not particularly relevant to that and
probably shouldn't go into the article.)

- d.