[WikiEN-l] What to do about our writing quality?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun May 25 00:10:48 UTC 2008

At 05:30 PM 5/24/2008, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
>But you're quite happy to burden copyeditors with the requirement to live
>inside university library stacks.  Hardly a fair situation is it.

Wait a minute! If you hired me as a copy editor, paid by the word,
and then expected me to edit something without access to the sources,
it would be an abusive situation. But nobody has an obligation to
edit anything here. "Copyeditors" don't get an assignment to rewrite
this or that, they can pick and choose what they edit.

Rewriting sourced material can easily distort the material. And I'll
give an example from current conflict. In the article on
"Instant-runoff voting," there used to be a claim that "Robert's
Rules of Order, Newly Revised" recommends "IRV" in such and such a
situation. This claim, with exact wording, has been repeated all over
the net, and not just on Wikipedia mirrors. It has shown up on the
web sites of election clerks explaining proposals to the public. Is it true?

Turns out that what the source actually says is ... different. It
takes, not only synthesis to turn what RRONR actually says into a
recommendation, but omission of details from the source. Now, the
article is under continual pressure from advocates, including COI
editors. I've taken the claim in the article and rewritten it, using
exact quotations (because any summary, if it stated the necessary
details to get it right, would be reverted quickly with a claim that
it was POV and OR); then comes another editor who helpfully rewrites
it to make it more compact. And, of course, removes the necessary
detail, turning what is actually critical of IRV, and which describes
a method different in a critical respect from IRV, for possible use
(*not* recommended use, but better than some other alternatives),
back into the original defective claim that distorts the source. Now,
in this case, there is a copy of the particular section of RRONR that
is most relevant on the web. But without a background in the
principles of parliamentary procedure, it is really easy to read it
as it has been framed a few years now in the political arena. When
the source is *not* available, the problem can be even worse.

The specific problem I've just described takes patience to address,
it is the typical problem of an article where there are editors with
an outside agenda to promote, which can create long-term POV pushing,
and, when it is skilfully done, nothing too outrageous, slowly, if
nobody is watching long-term and willing to keep pushing the boulder
back up the hill, the boulder rolls down. POV pressure is indeed like
gravity; if there are real-world interests maintaining the pressure,
it will have its effect. Unless we get stable versions.

What we need is to develop mechanisms that help us develop content.
Behind any article should be a wealth of resources. I've seen
articles where text is added, sources are added, then someone takes
it out because, perhaps, they say it is unbalanced, then something
else comes in and out. Over time, many editors looked at sources,
*but no resource is built*. I'd say that with any article should be a
sources page, where *all* sources considered by editors are placed,
with a description of the source and, where relevant, exact
quotations or URLs to copies of the source. So an editor puts in a
source on this page. Another editor looks at it, and, yes, the source
has been fairly represented. Or the other editor claims that the
source was misrepresented, so the second editor adds quotation or
evidence on that, etc. The sources page would be NPOV. And it might
get quite large, with some subjects. Editorial consensus could build
on what sources are reliable, etc. As it is now, the tide comes in
and washes out, over and over, leaving only a little behind.

There is somewhere a recommendation that Talk be refactored. Right
now, what I see, everywhere I've looked, is that Talk pages are
simply archived. And then the same debates occur over and over, with
new participants who have not read the old debate, so more time is
wasted explaining everything over and over. It is *incredibly*
inefficient, and inefficiency is not fatal when new editors keep
pouring in. But it burns editors out, in the end, and that stream of
new users will dry up. I've called it a pyramid scheme. It works as
long as new blood keeps appearing.