[WikiEN-l] threats of violence

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 15:47:49 UTC 2008

99% or so of the threats of violence are simply strong language, and
involving the police in them can have unfortunate permanent
consequences. some degree of judgment is needed before reporting.
"I'll kill you to keep this article" is not in general an actual
threat of violence, especially when there is no way of identifying the
real-life person being "threatened".

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/03/2008, private musings <thepmaccount at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > there's been some recent work at;
>  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Threats_Of_Violence
>  >
>  > anyone see anything there they disagree with?
>  >
>  > best,
>  >
>  > PM.
>

>  Umm, yes.  I find that the language of this proposed policy is too strong,
>  and creates a moral imperative that is improper on Wikipedia.  As editors,
>  none of us are obligated to do *anything* on Wikipedia, and our
>  responsibility ends with things we actually do (edit articles, block users,
>  comment on a policy, etc.). It is unacceptable to create the sense that
>  anyone would have a real-world obligation to report something to authorities
>  simply because they are Wikipedia readers/editors.
>
>  At best, this should be a guideline, and only when the language is watered
>  down so that it says things like "encouraged but not obligated" and
>  recognises that editors are not *required* to carry out any specific
>  actions.
>
>  I've posted comments to the proposal as well.
>
>  Risker

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.