[WikiEN-l] threats of violence

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 13:58:38 UTC 2008

On 13/03/2008, private musings <thepmaccount at gmail.com> wrote:

> there's been some recent work at;
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Threats_Of_Violence
>
> anyone see anything there they disagree with?
>
> best,
>
> PM.

Umm, yes.  I find that the language of this proposed policy is too strong,
and creates a moral imperative that is improper on Wikipedia.  As editors,
none of us are obligated to do *anything* on Wikipedia, and our
responsibility ends with things we actually do (edit articles, block users,
comment on a policy, etc.). It is unacceptable to create the sense that
anyone would have a real-world obligation to report something to authorities
simply because they are Wikipedia readers/editors.

At best, this should be a guideline, and only when the language is watered
down so that it says things like "encouraged but not obligated" and
recognises that editors are not *required* to carry out any specific
actions.

I've posted comments to the proposal as well.

Risker