[WikiEN-l] Trivial hatnotes or two-article disambiguations

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 31 13:40:47 UTC 2008

Zahd wrote:
> RFC: I'm having a little throw with someone named David over the usage of
> hatnotes and whether or not to disambiguate. On the [[sola scriptura]]
> article, there's a hatnote which points "for the [[Neal Morse]] album
> [[Sola Scriptura (album)]]." I removed this hatnote in favor of a standard
> otheruses disambig. The principle here is that the article's substance is
> more *substantial than the tangential, and relatively speaking, trivial,
> hatnote on top.

There is another principle, which is that you shouldn't change stuff
around without gain of functionality, just because you reckon your
theory about it trumps someone else's.

The point of hatnotes is to give readers navigational help, in a
lightweight way.  This may be one of the last stands against "of course
the MoS must cover everything".  There are more useful discussions.

In fact using hatnotes to comment implicitly on relative seriousness of
content probably violates some Deep Magic.

Charles