[WikiEN-l] SlimVirgin and CheckUser leaks

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 10:21:45 UTC 2008

SlimVirgin wrote:
> On 7/19/08, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2008/7/19 SlimVirgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> There was no reason at all to check the first account(s) that Lar
>>>
>>  > checked.
>>
>> Your accounts? Please detail why you feel you are immune to checkuser.
>>  (I ask this while reminding all here that several admins have been
>>  caught severely sockpuppeting and then deadminned.)
>>

> I don't feel I'm immune, but I do feel there should be a presumption
> against long-term contributors being checked, unless there are serious
> grounds to suspect abuse.

As somebody completely outside of this whole conflict,
and with not even a remote understanding of the whole
backround, let me just say that whatever the issues and
or facts may be otherwise, this statement is very very
deeply offensive, though I have to confess that it is quite
easy to fall into this mindset, through error.

It is the newcomers and or limelight avoiding editors
of occasional contribution, who should not be peremptorily
considered targets which are soft enough to bully through
intimations of suspicion of sockpuppetry.

There has to be proximate cause for a sockpuppet
investigation, certes. But that falls far short of saying
there should be a "presumption against" doing one
on anyone.

> The result is that Wikitumnus felt they had to abandon their account.
> I recall an absolute storm when Durova blocked !!, an established
> editor who had abandoned his original account, but who felt his
> identity was compromised by the block. That is exactly the situation
> we have here -- an established editor with a new account is checked
> for no reason, and as a result feels unable to continue with the
> account in case their identity leaks out.

Your account otherwise is quite interesting and may have
merit, but your use of the word "exactly" here is fairly
comical.

!! was blocked. If Wikitumnuses situation had been "exactly"
the same, he would have been blocked. Was Wikitumnus
blocked? I submit not.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen