[WikiEN-l] Is this normal?

Kurt Maxwell Weber kmw at armory.com
Fri Feb 29 17:45:56 UTC 2008

On Friday 29 February 2008 11:43, Christiano Moreschi wrote:
> One relatively brief day of adminning enwiki and I find myself blocking the
> sockpuppets of no fewer than three separate returning banned users.
> Hkelkar, Ararat arev, and BryanFromPalatine, if anyone's interested. Is
> this a normal experience for my fellow admins?

Just curious,  but were they doing anything malicious, or were they honestly
contributing in good faith?  If it's the latter, so what if they've been
declared "banned"...if they're not doing anything wrong leave them alone.

> And do we do enough to keep banned users off Wikipedia? Should we chase
> them up in real life a little more?

Absolutely not.

> After all, I believe we do know who at
> least two out of the above three are. Wikipedia is hardly sinking under a
> deluge of banned users, but a little more proactiveness would be nice on
> this front. Is protecting articles from a specific user or IP range
> technically possible?

The latter is totally unacceptable as a long-term solution.
--
Kurt Weber
<kmw at armory.com>