[WikiEN-l] Flickr tells the SEOs to go away too

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 22:04:10 UTC 2008

> Why even bother? I mean yes, there are a handful of sites which we
>  consider useful and reliable enough to link to them in a very high
>  volume, so high that removing "nofollow" would create a conspicuous
>  spike in the job queue, so high that we've created templates to make
>  them easier to link to. IMDB comes to mind, but somehow I doubt they
>  would be bothered enough to care whether links from Wikipedia affect
>  IMDB's page-rank or whether this would help IMDB pass "Photobucket" in
>  the top 20. But whether they care or not, why should we?

Wikipedia is a very major site, I imagine they would care. I'm not
sure why we should though... do we owe them anything for allowing us
to link to them? I struggle to see how we would, since they're just
putting the information out there, they aren't actively doing anything
for us specifically... It would be nice of us to give them a helping
hand in their search ratings, but we don't really exist to be nice.