[WikiEN-l] en.wiki admin IRC

Chris Howie cdhowie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 19:49:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 1:58 PM,  <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
> In a message dated 2/27/2008 10:51:23 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> cdhowie at gmail.com writes:
>
> << Any "Rule Z" here is irrelevant, because there is nothing stopping
> administrators from making a channel somewhere else, on some other IRC
> server, or some other chat server entirely. >>
> -------------------
> Yes, if we had a rule Z in-wiki which said "don't do this", then we'd impose
> it just like any other rule. If an admin is caught doing it, they face the
> requirements of that rule. Same as the rest of Wiki.

And this would be a pointless rule, just more CREEP.  If I can justify
an action off-wiki then I can justify it on-wiki.  If I cannot justify
an action on-wiki then I cannot justify it off-wiki.

If you ask an admin why they did something and they say "I dunno, we
agreed that it was the best thing" then you have every right to demand
an explanation, which may be in the form of a chat log and it may just
be a paraphrase, but either way you then have something to dispute.
If they say "someone told me to do it" and cannot provide more than
that then take it to RfC, MedCom, ArbCom, whatever.

I still don't see what the point is and I'd be interested to know how
you would draft this "rule Z."

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com