[WikiEN-l] BetacommandBot, (currently) centralized discussion

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 23:58:14 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 3:46 PM, <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 2/24/2008 3:42:33 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> george.herbert at gmail.com writes:
>

> That  this whole thing is perpetually badly communicated is a failure in
>  how
> Betacommand and others are operating, but that doesn't mean that the  bot
> is
> breaking policy.>>
>

> -------------------------------
> You can follow policy while simultaneously upsetting 5 or 50 established
> editors.
> That is not a rationale for what BCB did.
>
> Not that I agree that BCB is actually following policy.  BCB has, and
> continues to refuse any transparency into his process.  So we really can't
>  tell can
> we?
>
> It should be fairly plain that many established editors have issues with
>  the
> situation.  So merely stating that he is or isn't following policy
>  doesn't
> quite get at the core issue.
>
> Will Johnson

There is complete transparency in what Betacommandbot is doing.

It's taking fair-use licensed images, which don't have a currently policy
compliant fair-use justification including a per-page justification for
where it's used now, and tagging them as policy noncompliant.

Is there any part of that which is unclear to you?

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com