[WikiEN-l] Can we think about trying the "show" solution?

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 23:22:21 UTC 2008

In 22/02/2008, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> You've completely missed my point. I didn't say "How long will it take
>  for someone to add show/hide tags to [[Clitoris]]?" I said "How long
>  will it take for the *edit war* to start on [[Clitoris]]?". I'm not
>  making a judgement on whether or not the images should be hidden, I'm
>  pointing out that without a policy, we're going to get edit wars, and
>  those *are* inherently bad.

Yes, but we get edit wars over *everything*. There'll be an edit war,
we'll reach a compromise, it's over and done with.

To quote myself (because I haven't thought of a better way of putting it yet):

"Common sense will stop it being applied grossly inappropriately; I
can trust our community on that. Our fundamental guiding principle is
that people can reach consensus on everything [...] Saying we don't
trust people to reach consensus on applying a tool if we let them
start using it... well, if we used that logic every time we allowed
people to do things, we'd never have had a wiki."

Edit wars are undesirable, but they are also a normal cost of doing
business with our model. Something causing edit wars is... well, to be
expected if discouraged.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk