[WikiEN-l] A call for moderation

Wily D wilydoppelganger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 12:53:57 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 6:51 AM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19/02/2008, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think you miss Jimbos point by a country mile. The status quo on
> > wikipedia is to "continue to dialog about possibilities which would
> > be satisfactory to all sides."
>
> There is absolutely no way that is a legit description of what is
> going on and any attempt to hold such a conversation would need to
> rewrite some fairly core wikipedia policies such as NPOV.
>
> --
> geni

Err, we've been holding such a conversation for some time now (can't
recall when I got involved in it, but I figure ~ 1 year ago. No doubt
it'll go on for some time longer.  Dialogue doesn't mean the article
changes, and indeed it was stable on my "4 point" image solution for
some time, with a minor hiccough when one image was deleted as a
suspected copyvio - and has now been minorly rearranged for undue
weight considerations (and frankly just layout, which was shit
before).

NPOV can only be compremised by actual edits to the article- dialogue
has no ability to affect the article unless we come to a resolution
and implement some proposal.  Dialogue does give people a chance to
vent and cool down a little, or become familiar with our goal here, or
get board and move along.  And quite frankly, the current state of the
Muhammad article is lousy - a little dialogue won't be the end of the
world.

Cheers
WilyD