[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia Tour

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 14 21:32:59 UTC 2008

A while ago, I started experimenting with the idea of an interactive tour:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Eloquence/Tour_01&oldid=191502665

Not so much a tutorial how to edit Wikipedia, but what's in there (a
broad selection of content), how to use categories/portals, how the
community collaborates, what Wikipedia _is_, etc.

This kind of thing would be really useful for the orientation of new
staff, as a resource for autonomous exploration. But I think it would
be generally a cool thing for Wikipedia (and other projects) to
showcase what they are at their best.

Is there any volunteer interest in building such a thing?

I know - web site tours often suck and are kind of a thing of the 90s
- but I think this could be different: it would be more of a living
slideshow with captions.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation