[WikiEN-l] WP:LEAD

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Feb 8 22:34:49 UTC 2008

At 12:23 PM 2/8/2008, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 2/8/2008 9:21:00 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>ian.woollard at gmail.com writes:
>
>I cannot  be kind about this, these people are engaging in, or
>recommending OR, and  are trying to hide behind the cloak of consensus.
>
>We don't want or need  consensus in the Wikipedia, we want *informed*
>consensus.>>
>---------------------------
>When experts are "called in" to give opinions in contentious issues, the
>warriors cite Canvassing and Meatpuppetry.
>
>How do we address that?

Favorite question, actually. This happens to be my specialty, i.e.,
the theory of how very large organizations might be able to
efficiently measure consensus, plus guarantee (at least in general)
that the consensus is an informed one.

I apologize for the length of this, but I don't have time to edit it
down, so ... following the principles implied herein, if anyone finds
this of value, commenting on it and repeating what seems important
about it could be very useful. It is not necessary that everyone read
this, and, indeed, one person might be enough. So, if it serves you
to read it, great. If not, I will not be offended if anyone passes it by.

We might notice that the problem described above is a generic
organizational one, and it starts to bite organizations when they
reach a level where, for example, if everyone shows up at a meeting,
or even a major fraction do so, the meeting becomes too large to
function, plus there is classic participation bias. Participation
bias is a double-edged sword. On the other hand, it tends to favor
decisions being made by the informed. However, there is also a higher
incentive to participate on the part of those who are biased in some
way, who have an axe to grind. So direct democracies, such as New
England Town Meeting, tend to be replaced when the town size reaches
a level that the number of fanatics and blowhards and tenacious
debaters becomes large enough -- they are a certain percentage of any
population that does not exclude them -- to raise the noise to a
point that the meetings start to break down, the gatherings become
tedious, expand the time consumed, increasing participation bias even
further. Familiar?

Mailing lists and the like (including internet forums, which is what
project or talk pages are on Wikipedia) increase the manageable
scale, because, unlike the case with face-to-face meetings, readers
can selectively read, they do not have to sit through a long and
boring speech, and, if there is voting involved, they only need pay
attention to actual and generally short questions, plus, to be
informed, they may read a few posts from writers they trust, or skim
over what has been posted. However, there comes a point where, again,
the noise level is too great. That is not a specific size, because
there are mailing lists with tens of thousands of subscribers that
remain functional -- though mostly because these lists aren't really
trying to make any kind of decisions, they are only discussing. When
they try to make controversial decisions, there can be, if there is
no process to prevent it, eruptions of highly contentious posts. At a
certain point, though, *any* open mailing list is going to run into
the problem of scale. I am only here considering unmoderated lists.

There are classic solutions or processes, each one unsatisfactory
from various perspectives:

(1) Electoral democracy, where elected representatives reduce the
number of participants. The big problems with elections is that
security issues are raised: who can vote (sock puppets?), how do they
vote, and who counts the vote. Further, whenever there is an
election, there are losers, which may represent voters who end up
unrepresented. There are voting systems that ameliorate this problem,
so some kind of electoral democracy can be a solution, and this is
generally how societies, when the exercise of sovereignty is
concerned, have moved, and this and the second solution are the
approach generally taken by nonprofits.

(2) Oligarchical control. There is single person or a small number of
persons who have decision-making authority, and membership
participation is limited to advising those people. Electoral
democracy is, in one sense, oligarchical, but I distinguish this here
by considering that the oligarchy is a fixed oligarchy, not subject
to election but which elects its own continuing participants. This is
actually the Wikipedia formal control structure, but it
operationally, for the most part, defers to the third process.

(2) Anarchist approaches such as are (more or less) the status quo on
Wikipedia, which works much better than some would expect but which
turns out to be, as well, horrifically inefficient in ways that, in
my opinion, will make it unsustainable. Like consensus process in
voluntary communities, over the years, participation declines as
people decide that they have better things to do that sit in tedious
meetings, going through what it takes to find consensus. (Note that I
am in favor of finding consensus, and am merely pointing out that
traditional methods of finding it, when the group size gets large,
become increasingly impractical). This approach does have legs, as
Wikipedia shows; but participation bias can, again, cause the
apparent consensus, as was being pointed out, to deviate from what
would be a true consensus if one explained the situation to every
member and asked them to vote.

(3) Proxy democracy, as practiced in the business world (where it is
a democracy of property, i.e., own so many shares, one gets so many
votes, and may assign those votes at will, to anyone, to cast. This
allows, in theory, all shareholders to be represented at an annual
meeting, whereas only a few are actually present. It is rigorously
democratic, in theory, but in practice various conditions have
developed that frustrate it, including large numbers of uninformed
shareholders who assign proxies on request by the board of trustees,
thus making proxy revolutions very difficult. As an example, the
California State Automobile Association is a proxy democracy: members
each get one vote. But this organization, like many in its class, was
founded by people selling insurance, if I'm correct. And the board
sends out proxy solicitations, which enough members helpfully sign
and send back, that when an insurgent (perhaps pursuing his own
agenda as a trial lawyer) tries to mount a candidacy to represent
other interests than those of insurance companies (which only
partially coincide with those of motorists), it's almost impossible,
and there is no means of reaching the members directly, often, since
the board controls access to the membership list and member
addresses. But it is proxy democracy that contains the seeds of a
solution, because it can create full representation without
elections. Proxy democracy has seen little use in most nonprofits;
however, as an example, some Green parties allow members to name
proxies for voting at conventions; anarchists have commonly opposed
this because it can create a situation where the anarchists have a
majority at the convention, but are outvoted by those holding
proxies. This opposition to proxy voting is actually quite generic,
and most nonprofit membership organizations prohibit proxy voting,
and discussing why this is the case is not necessary here, except to
say that it is basically the same argument, made by the oligarchy
that has effective control through participation bias, and believes
that this control is essential for organizational success.

Wikpedia actually incorporates, already, many elements of what I
would consider an advanced system. In particular, one critical aspect
of such would be the separation of judgement from power. That is,
there is advice and there is action, and the advice, properly, should
be disconnected from action; this principle is more commonly known as
the "independence of the judiciary," and represents avoidance of the
direct exercise of power by judges. While it may appear that judges
control, generally they do not; rather they issue decisions which may
be considered binding, but the judges themselves typically cannot
compel compliance themselves; rather, public servants ("the executive
branch") act as authorized by the decision of a judge, and if the
public servants refuse to act, the judges have no power. But, of
course, that is not normally what happens.

With Wikipedia, ArbComm is technically only advisory. Jimbo Wales is
not legally obligated to follow the decisions of ArbComm. Nor is an
apparent community consensus binding on anyone. Rather, an ArbComm
decision or an apparent consensus are enforced, if they are enforced,
by individuals entrusted with enforcement powers, and none of them
can be compelled to exercise that power, unless they choose,
themselves, to be bound, and, if I'm correct, such choices are
revocable. Ultimately, legal authority over Wikipedia is in the hands
of the Foundation, i.e., the Board. The community consensus advises
the Board, and the Board would disregard it at its own peril.
Legally, however, the Board is obligated (and the members legally
obligated, with possible teeth of they neglect the obligation) to
insure that Wikipedia, for example, acts responsibly, for the
protection of the public, so it is possible that a clear community
consensus could appear, perhaps requiring certain expenditures, and
the Board properly would refuse if it considered this fiscally
unwise, risking bankruptcy and thus harm to the public.

So what is the function of the community consensus on Wikipedia? It
is to generate and express advice, whereby the community advises
itself and its servants and those who hold responsible positions as
volunteers or employees. The consensus does not control directly, but
it may effectively do so; in each case, however, each action of
control is at the discretion of individuals entrusted with the power of action.

This kind of organizational/legal structure has been used before,
with phenomenal success. It was used by the model for what I call
Free Associations. Bill Wilson, co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous,
carefully studied what had caused similar temperance movements to
fail in the past, and he consciously designed AA to avoid the
pitfalls. He separated AA itself from the service board known as AA
World Services, Inc. AA itself "ought never be organized," but then
he went on, "but we may create service boards or committees directly
responsible to those they serve." There is no central control in AA,
not over the fellowship itself, nor over meetings or members.
Individual meetings are fully independent, and may, if they choose,
defy even a very strong majority opinion in AA (even what can be
called a consensus), normally without any consequence at all. But it
doesn't happen much! Each meeting is self-supporting; no action is
taken centrally to start or help maintain local meetings. There is,
however, a representative conference once a year, using delegates
elected by a special process calculated to facilitate the development
of consensus at the conference level by including some representation
of significant minority opinion. I'm not presenting AA as perfect, it
isn't, but it is very, very good at showing how anarchistic
structures can function and be extraordinarily successful. Whatever
one might think of the AA program, it became, in a few short years,
almost the only show in town, and there is, in fact, at least one
meeting in every town in North America and in many around the world.

However, AA was able to succeed largely because there are very few
decisions to be made on the level of the overall organization. Every
meeting is independent, and decisions are made by those who
participate, and there is no enforced common standard. It would be as
if, here, there were no enforceable policies and the editorial
standards for every article were determined by the editors of that
article. (To some extent, this is true, and it is both beneficial and
harmful, depending. A consensus of editors can pretty much get away
with anything, until and unless the consensus breaks, by an editor
noticing it who thinks it wrong. It is not a consensus any more.)
Universal membership is an important aspect of this. With a few
exceptions -- which have been vigorously debated and are debated
still -- every AA meeting is open to every AA member, and membership
in AA is self-defined. I.e., say you are a member, you are a member
unless it is proven otherwise. "The only requirement for membership
is a desire to stop drinking." Further, "Any two alcoholics gathered
together for the purpose of sobriety may call themselves an AA
meeting, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation."
This "other affiliation means, as I understand it, that there is no
"Baptist AA," where you would have to be a Baptist to attend the
group. (However, the exceptions: there are women's meetings and men's
meetings and there are, I think, some gay and lesbian meetings; these
are theoretically violating the AA traditions -- but they also have
Rule Number One, IAR. As long as those who maintain local meetings
lists don't exclude the meeting from lists, there has been no
consequence; meeting lists will warn potential attendees of any such
special requirement, and these special meetings don't exist in areas
where alcoholics don't have lots of other options.)

But what would happen if the scale became very large, with common
standards being expected for all meetings? In AA, meetings do tend to
have strong resemblances, and there are strong traditions about, for
example, no cross-talk, i.e,. avoiding commenting directly on what
others have said, focusing on "principles, not personalities." But
there is no overall rule requiring this, with sanctions against those
who violated it. Comment on someone's sharing of their experience,
and the most that is likely to happen is that people will shun you,
or quietly suggest to you that it was inappropriate. (On the other
hand, AA is composed of human beings, including some who are quite
contentious, sometimes still fueled by their disease, and so whatever
can happen probably does happen, occasionally, at AA meetings. I've
only been to open meetings, I am not an alcoholic, but an observer of AA.)

Here, we have an encyclopedia to build and maintain. It is expected
that certain common standards will be maintained, and maintaining
them requires increasing precision of definition, plus application of
the standards to real situations, which constantly vary in
implications, there are exceptions to every rule except one.

So how to judge? This is where structure comes in. Wikipedia has a
combination of the above described forms, but most decisions are made
through the anarchist model, subject to participation bias. And,
above, there is one method described that can balance out
participation bias without excluding minority opinion, and that is
proxy representation. However, creating a proxy structure could seem
to be adding complexity and perhaps bureaucracy, and, when
suggestions like this are made, most think of proxies as holding
power, controlling. But if we look at proxies as elements in a system
that only advises, but does not control, the picture changes. The
security issues disappear. The elements we love about Wikipedia, such
as "no voting," -- which means that decisions are made by servants
based on arguments presented, not votes -- are retained. However,
sometimes the process by which arguments are presented is
horrifically inefficient, sucking in the expenditure of huge amounts
of editor time, and often frustrating to all sides, plus, of course,
a lot of it is, indeed, voting. I don't know what "Delete, per nom"
means, otherwise. Obviously a lot of Wikipedia editors think we are
voting in an AfD.

(In AA, the General Service Conference controls nothing, but its
advice is respected. It nominates Board members, which the Board
routinely elects. It approves of edits to publications, to insure
that they reflect consensus. -- a "consensus" for these purposes is
considered a 2/3 vote at the Conference level.)

Contentious decisions commonly involve interpretations of guidelines
and policies where it is possible that there are quite legitimate
alternate interpretations. While the theory of the process is that it
is arguments that are being considered, not votes, in the end, in
practice, an actual decision is made by one person, sometimes a
person who has less experience and understanding of the arguments
than those who commented. In the end, this is one person's decision.
I would keep it exactly that way, but I would focus on what advice
that person has received and to what extent it may be considered to
be the collective understanding of the community. Suppose we had a
proxy system -- never mind how we would get it for the moment, please
-- so that there were a few commentors, each one of which presented a
different comment, it becoming a tradition not to repeat comments,
i.e., not to make comments of the form, "Me too." So there might be,
with a controversial decision, two comments. Are they equal in power?
Presently, in theory, yes. The decision maker has the right to
choose, or even to make some totally different decision, having been
advised. (in this case the most common decision would be no
consensus, perhaps with renomination seeking additional comment.)

But, now suppose that one of these comments is from a high-level
proxy, representing, directly or indirectly, 99% of Wikipedia
registered users who have participated in such a system, and lets
suppose there are, at least, thousands of them. This person has been
massively trusted as being likely to have a good understanding of the
issue and to comment fairly and neutrally (or, at least, representing
in some sense the POV of those who chose him or her). And the other
comment is from a new editor, who has been trusted by no one. *other
things being equal,* which has more weight? Indeed, which decision is
more likely to stick and not be reversed.

I can imagine some immediate objections, so I urge a careful reading
of the above. "Other things being equal" is very important. This
includes, for the deciding administrator, indecision as to which
argument presented is the best. First of all, is this an inconclusive
decision, "No consensus"? I'd suggest not! The fact is that admins do
use the number of "votes" to determine the validity of a decision,
and will consider the existence of opposing arguments as not relevant
if one side is snowed. Decisions contrary to the majority are made,
but I've never seen a snowed expression of opinion reversed by an
administrator. But snowing takes up editor time. Rather, I'd suggest,
weighting "votes," acknowledging them as votes, *but not making them
binding*, is actually the Wikipedia way, it is what has been done *to
a degree*, already. All that a proxy system would do is to measure
participation (how many editors participated in the decision-making
process, directly and indirectly) and the sense of the community (how
many editors may we predict would vote a certain way if asked.)

(In this example, even though one proxy represented thousands of
users, a careful decision maker might want to see at least one
concurring opinion, and for the proxy or any user to contact another
user to look at the issue could be quite appropriate. Here, I'm sure,
if this were a matter of weight, we'd see more comments anyway, and,
given the position of the proxy, if this is working, it's highly
likely there would be some confirmation. But what I'd predict we
would not see is an MfD with 600 votes and highly repetitious argument.)

Now, as to the latter, when proxy systems are proposed, one of the
most common objections is "How can I be sure that the person I pick
will vote the way I would want." The answer, of course, is that you
can't. A proxy should be chosen as a person one you consider most
likely to make a good decision if you don't participate. In the
example above, with that high-level proxy, suppose you were a client
of that proxy. You might watch what your proxy is doing, and if you
see a vote you don't like, you simply vote yourself, effectively
cancelling your vote. If this happens more than rarely, you would
properly consider changing your proxy assignment. But, I suspect,
most people would not watch their proxy unless someone called
misbehavior to their attention. (If a proxy is blocked such that the
proxy cannot continue to function, i.e, more than transiently, all
the direct clients, I'd think, should be notified. But all this can
be done without formal structure to do it.)

I've been thinking of Delegable Proxy, where proxies are considered
to be delegable, so if A names B and B names C, then C, in the
absence of A and B, represents both of them. DP is indefinitely
scalable, the "hierarchy" it creates is bottom-up, a fractal (hence
"fractal democracy" is one of the names for this), requiring no
elections, only a list of proxy assignments. Wikipedia needs no
special tools to do this, it is all in place, everything needed,
except people assigning proxies. No policies or guidelines need be
changed, no additional burden placed on anyone that is not
voluntarily assumed, no power transferred from those who currently
hold it. No bureaucracy is needed, beyond the thinnest.

Closing administrators would not be required to consider proxy
expansion of votes. Any user could expand votes using the proxy list.
(It's not hard to do it by hand, even with thousands of votes
involved, but there are also tools being developed and I assume that
there will be quite adequate ones available readily as open-source software.)

Now, why would I think that the vote of a proxy would estimate
overall consensus "if the users were asked." First of all, of course,
the proxy only estimates the consensus of those represented by the
proxy, and a collection of proxies only would estimate the consensus
of all those collectively represented by those proxies. However,
proxies and clients will directly communicate. I would never name a
proxy that I could not contact directly and reasonably expect a
response. One person representing thousands of users, directly, is
probably going to do a very poor job of communicating with them, and
the vote of this person, I might tend to discount. (And proxy
analyses, in the end, are the ultimate responsibility of the one
doing the analysis, who is not bound as to how to do it, the analyst
could, for example, deweight or even ignore the votes originating
with new accounts, or could deweight or ignore votes coming from
identified users with strong POVs being pushed, or according to any
standard at all. People analyze proxy expansions in order to help
themselves make decision, or to advise others who trust the accuracy
of the expansion. It's personal.)

Now, I've actually only scratched the surface of what could become
possible with a proxy network in place. Collectively, the users have
disposable income and resources that dwarf those of WikiMedia
Foundation. If the users are coherently connected as is hinted here
-- don't think that this description, while it is long, is in any way
complete -- and there were some financial emergency, extraordinary
sums could be raised in very short order, with practically no effort.
All you have to do is convince a *few* high-level proxies and they
will quickly and efficiently do the rest, through personal contact.
My proxy would have my phone number. It's an automatic telephone
tree, the person calling me to ask for a donation would be the one I
chose as trustworthy. Note that this is *not* some central decision
being made to ask all members for a donation -- as happens with the
current system (but not personally), and that I'm not proposing this
as a change; I said "emergency." And those proxies who thought it was
a bad idea simply wouldn't do it. But, before any action was actually
taken, there would be a reasonable estimate of success, based on a
poll and proxy expansion of it.

The same with decisions about guidelines and policies. If there is an
RFC, and for any given editor, we may assume that, roughly, an
individual editor is likely to accept and follow a guidelines that
has received the assent of his or her proxy, plus, of course, the
proxy may have explained it to the client. Every user is more likely
to think of guidelines and policies as being created by "us," rather
than from on high; I think there is currently some cynicism as to how
much guidelines and policies currently reflect actual community
consensus, and this, in turn, fosters disregard for them.

None of this would cause any *immediate* change. Am I calling for
action? Not much! However, if these ideas are of interest, a reader
might followup on what occurred to me as a joke, more or less, I
registered a sock puppet, User:The Community. This came from a
comment by User:Zenwhat on the Village Pump, asking sarcastically,
after it had been noted that the community was ignoring source
reliability guidelines, "How can we block The Community (TM) for
disruption?" Well, it's possible now.

But that account isn't going to be used for any editing outside the
User page and Talk page, and quite possibly none there as well,
except as authorized by, at least, some actual community.

And, in fact, I'm not likely to do much at all there, in terms of
implementing, for example, a proxy list and explaining and proposing
other details, if there is not at least one editor who seconds the
effective motion to create this account to serve as a "secretary" for
the community. Right now, I'm user "The Community," but, as such,
since I have not been advised by the community by any means which I
consider truly representative, I must, in that function, remain
silent, and I am merely a volunteer serving temporarily until replaced.

None of the actual actions that I would propose, if this second
appears and there is some level of participation, will require
overall community approval. They are all legitimate under current
guidelines and procedures and would be highly unlikely to be
disruptive in any way. On the other hand, it is possible that some
will consider this threatening for various reasons. As an example,
people who are very comfortable with the status quo, who believe that
they understand the best interests of Wikipedia better than the
average user (and they are probably right), may think that this could
have an ultimate effect of reducing their influence. While they may
be correct, I'd suggest that a system as I would envision it could
enable them, if they are correct about their wisdom and
understanding, to become more effective with less effort. Such people
would naturally become high-level proxies if they do, in fact,
represent the mature understanding of the community and wish to so
serve. High-level proxies would be proxies who have been trusted by
those who are themselves heavily trusted. These higher-level proxy
assignments would be those made by experienced Wikipedians, who know
very well the details of how this user operates, and the depth of
understanding and integrity shown in his or her edits. Proxy
democracy is a peer system, even though it tends to create a
hierarchy, rooted in personal judgement and trust.

If it does not work, very little effort will have been expended. No
software changes (unless it turns out to work well enough to justify
that; there are already people working on public-source delegable
proxy systems and I could see the possibility that MediaWiki might
reasonably have a proxy field for each user and some tools for
calculating proxy expansions, though I, myself, prefer to *not* make
proxy expansion a central tool, for security reasons.)

I am calling a meeting for the purpose of considering the voluntary
and decentralized implementation of proxy democracy on Wikipedia, for
purposes as described above, and I have reserved a space for it, User
Talk:The Community. I have, there, volunteered, as User:The
Community, to serve as temporary chair of that meeting. Considering
this as a motion to elect, if there is a second to that motion,
discussion of it may begin there. (If it is seconded, amendments
would be in order to change the designated secretary, or the duties,
or whatever.) Currently, there has been a little discussion, from a
user, one of the unsung Wikipedia heroes who patrol new page
creation, wondering WTF this was about. Other than that, while the
formation of the account was mentioned on the Village Pump, policy
page, it appears to have been unnoticed.