[WikiEN-l] opt-out and censorship (was: "I want to at least kill the responsible person.")

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 21:48:48 UTC 2008

> Consider the case where the owner of a business may pass a rule that
> none of his staff may wear hats (just for simple uniform reasons).

There is an active vs passive difference there. In that case, the
owner is actively passing a rule which prejudices a minority group. In
our case, we are sitting back and doing nothing and the default
prejudices a minority group. I think that is an important distinction.
We shouldn't have to go out of our way to cater to the needs of
minorities, we just have to no actively do anything which prejudices
them. (NB: While adding the images is active, that's done by an
individual. Wikipedia as a whole (or the WMF, if you prefer) not
having a rule against it is passive. I guess the individual could be
being racist at a stretch, but Wikipedia isn't.)