[WikiEN-l] opt-out and censorship (was: "I want to at least kill the responsible person.")

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 22:33:31 UTC 2008

> > 1. Turn off images in their browser.
>
> My point is that in the general case, under for example, UK law, if
> there are types of information that are contained in the wikipedia
> that racial groups consider extremely obscene, which are impossible to
> avoid in other than this way you indicate above, then this suggestion
> amounts to racism. (The UK defines racism as anything that
> intentionally or unintentionally has a significant negative effect on
> a racial group; and while you may not be able to define Moslems as a
> racial group, I expect you could find similar issues with actual
> racial groups.)
>
> I think that blocking all the images on the wikipedia meets that
> criteria, and hence can be defined (at least in the UK definition,
> which I would suppose would be notable) as racist.

UK law may be excessively politically correct, but I don't think it's
that bad. I can't see how advising people to turn off something which
offends them can be considered racist. If we detected IP addresses
from Islamic countries and turned off all images for them, that could
considered racist (under some very odd definitions), but no-one is
suggesting that. I don't think racism is an issue here - the images
aren't attacking Islam or Muslims in any way, they are just contrary
to their beliefs. If that's racist, then so is a non-Halal butcher's
shop, and plenty of those exist.