[WikiEN-l] Pointing domain names at Wikipedia

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 10:50:19 UTC 2008

On 04/02/2008, Chris Howie <cdhowie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2008 9:41 PM, Meg Ireland <megireland99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Sadly, allegations of staff doctoring articles isn't new:
> > http://todaysapatheticyouth.blogspot.com/2006/02/wikipedia-clues-in-to-spin.html

> Of course it's not new -- I've seen it happen before my eyes.  (I
> don't recall on which article, but I remember being unhappy about it.)

The nice thing about the WikiScanner is that now the rest of the world
knows what we've known for years, and the crap we clean up to keep
Wikipedia good and usable.

(I was also surprised to see that public and media opinion on what
constitutes a "conflict of interest" is way harsher than even our own
guidelines on the subject. Never mind trying to game a Wikipedia rule,
if you're caught out on this stuff you'll be buried in *public*
oppobrium.)

- d.