[WikiEN-l] NOR contradicts NPOV

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Dec 29 01:20:12 UTC 2008

Sure but in this case, to what you actually refer, is an refutation by him,
of his position on some philosophical point, etc etc.
That's not really about "him" per se, in the same vein that say "I was born
in Topeka" is about him.
If he, as a Topekian, engaged in an long-winded argument with another,  about
his activities on the cheerleading squad of Topeka high, then shouldn't we
say, that his long-winded repartee is a secondary source, on the primary
assertion that "I was the most decorated cheerleader in Topeka High  history."

If you're going to take the position that any opinion about a
primary-source-assertion is secondary, simply because it is addressing an  underlying
original statement-of-fact, than a consistent approach is that this  is true, no
matter if the speaker is also the subject themself.

That seems consistent to me, and would remove your quandary.

Will Johnson

In a message dated 12/28/2008 2:44:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
snowspinner at gmail.com writes:

On  Dec 28, 2008, at 3:27 PM, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:

> The sole  useful alternative view, would be that *both* report and
>  counter-report are secondary sources.
> The simple fact that a person is  speaking about their own work,
> doesn't  make
> their  words primary for that, it depends on the context in which
> they  are
> speaking.
>
> I.E. You can't have your cake and eat it  too.

For the most part, we'd treat anything by Person X as a primary  source
for [[Person X]]. I mean, if we want to make an explicit  exception for
a category, that's fine, but right now, nothing I can  see in NOR even
slightly undermines the idea that an article by  Person X is a primary
source for [[Person  X]].

-Phil

To unsubscribe from this  mailing list,  visit: