[WikiEN-l] Subscription idea

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Dec 26 23:52:10 UTC 2008

Ian you're right I overspoke.

If I scan a document, I don't create a new copyright for that, as I'm  merely
doing a mechanical action, which shows no originality.

On the photograph issue, I agree with the way you framed it.  If a  person
merely takes a picture of some copyrighted object that does not create a  new
copyrightable object.

I think my point was that JSTOR, rightly or wrongly, is asserting copyright
over the images they've taken.  Not over the underlying paper documents,
which are PD.  So the mere fact that JSTOR has digitized a document doesn't
create an overwhelming burden for us.  The document itself can still be put  on
wikisource as pure text or even as someone else's image, just not as a copy  of
the image from JSTOR.  That would be the way I'd approach it.

Will Johnson

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.