[WikiEN-l] Subscription idea

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 19:42:12 UTC 2008

2008/12/26  <WJhonson at aol.com>:

> OMG...
> THIS is what you are screaming about?
> Silly silly silly boy.
> They DO have a copyright to the PHOTOGRAPH you bazooka.
> They do NOT have a copyright to the plain text.
> *Throws up hands*
> Next non-issue please.
> You cannot copy their IMAGE, you can copy the text obviously.

Not in the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeman_Art_Library_Ltd._v._Corel_Corporation

Possibly in the UK. Case law is not entirely clear, basically no-one
wants to go first.

Tthough in the case of the National Portrait Gallery, Wikipedia long
ago said "Make my day." And the V&A has endorsed us getting photos of
lots of their stuff, see [[WP:WLART]], so the attempt to impose such
conditions may come to be seen as being as odious as it is.

- d.