[WikiEN-l] Subscription idea

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Dec 26 19:39:08 UTC 2008

<<In a message dated 12/26/2008 11:33:04 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
mbimmler at gmail.com writes:

"I  believe if you look into JSTOR's pre-1928
documents, you will immediately  find that they are assessing dubious
copyright" and "Could you elaborate on  this and supply a specific
example?" could be formed in much nicer  words>>
-----------------

Although if you look at the history of this thread, you will see that I did
ask for a specific example.
Now that we know of this non-issue let's explore it a bit more.
IF I take a photograph, or even "digitize" (scan) a print document, I own
the copyright to what *I* have done.
That does *not* give me an automatic copyright to the underlying work *of
someone else* and this is the key point here.

If I take a picture of the Declaration of Independence under glass at the
National Archives, I gain a copyright to my image.  That does NOT give me a
copyright to the actual underlying document that I've imaged.  If I take a
picture of the Lincoln Memorial, I gain a copyright to my image.  Not to  the item
imaged.

My copyright to my image whether paper or digital, whether glossy, flat, or
airbrushed.  Any derivative work based substantially on my image, in such a
way as to deprive me of income from my image, etc etc etc.

This, as I'm sure we're all aware, does not, in any way, prevent anyone  from
taking SAID image (even), extracting all the text from it, and then
presenting it as the original PD document (in plain text not as an image).

SHOULD you not be so lazy as to actually get your own copy of said original
PD document, I'm sure you'll sleep much sounder.
I however won't be limited by that level of silliness.

Now can we move on?

Will Johnson

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.