[WikiEN-l] JarlaxleArtemis/Grawp

Phil Nash pn007a2145 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 26 00:25:27 UTC 2008

Soxred93 wrote:
>> Maybe we can set it for only 1 day, but use a JS hack to say that
>> it's indefinite. That might get the word out to them. :)
>>
>> X!

What might be better is to email their abuse@ first saying that on a certain
date, none of their customers will be able to edit anonymously, and that
this will continue, with the blocking period doubling, until they do
something about *their* customer. I don't know if they have support
newsgroups, but info to this effect into those NGs will concentrate the
minds of those affected customers such that they will act in their own
interests, but ultimately to ours too.

As far as I can see, there is nothing unlawful in this, and it doesn't
amount to blackmail, because it's not an "unwarranted demand"- it's a simple
declaration of intent; and it's not "with menaces", because restricting
access to an essentially private website can be done for whatever reason at
all, capricious or not. Neither is it "with a view to gain or with intent to
cause loss", because that clause specifically directs to economic
consequences, which would not follow to Verizon should we choose to block
their anon customers en bloc for temporary periods.

All in all, it's *our* website, and we hold all the cards.