[WikiEN-l] JarlaxleArtemis/Grawp

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 02:31:52 UTC 2008

On 25/12/2008, Soxred93 <soxred93 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If we rangeblock all of Verizon, we're giving Grawp exactly what he
> wants. He wants to cause disruption, and causing a huge rangeblock is
> success for him.

It doesn't matter what he does or doesn't want. It only matters what
the wikipedia wants. Probably rangeblocking Verizon would be bad for
the Wikipedia's reputation ("Anyone can edit except for Verizon
users!"), Verizon would have to be incredibly unresponsive and acting
in incredibly bad faith to have to/really want to do that, but it
remains a possibility.

There might be a better case though for automatically, temporarily,
black holing or edit blocking or simply delaying the edits (until a
human can hand check them) of individual IPs/accounts from anywhere on
the internet that engage in certain broad patterns of activity.

The important thing is to minimise the length/number of times that any
particular IP is able to engage in Grawp-like or other stereotypic
behaviour. While he/she/they would be able to soon find another IP, it
significantly mitigates the damage that can be done, and minimises the
cleanup.

--
-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. Life in a perfectly
imperfect world would be much better.