[WikiEN-l] Serious problems with interlanguage links

Carl Beckhorn cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm
Mon Dec 15 05:01:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 09:08:55PM +0000, David Gerard wrote:
> Yeah. The common usage of interwiki links on en:wp is "that article
> over there is roughly equivalent to this one." I have seen en:wp
> articles pointing to two de:wp articles, quite reasonably.

I disagree with the "quite reasonably" part. Interlanguage links ought to
represent a closer connection than that. If one enwiki article "corresponds"
to two dewiki articles, then neither of the dewiki articles should be links
from the enwiki article. Perhaps a disambiguation page on dewiki could be
linked from the enwiki page.

 - Carl