[WikiEN-l] Anti-intellectualism

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Dec 12 04:16:47 UTC 2008

As editors we should be aware of the dichotomy between our-own-stating of
our-own-descriptions and our quoting of descriptions of others already
published.

If Professfor Hausfleish says in "Journal of Jane Austen Studies" that  "Jane
Austen's portrayal of life in the English countryside is without any
relevant basis."  that is quite different from *me* paraphrasing my own
understanding of Jane Austen with the reality of English living.

Our own interpretations, while editing, should be as-much-as-possible
shelved.
We, as expert editors, should know from where to pull those criticisms and
interpretations, without creating them afresh with our own words vis-a-vis an
appropos paraphrase of some one else's.

Will Johnson