[WikiEN-l] Anti-intellectualism

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Dec 12 03:42:27 UTC 2008

In a message dated 12/11/2008 6:22:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dgoodmanny at gmail.com writes:

We get  articles rejected at afd every day because there is no outside
criticism.  >>

---------------------
We have no outside criticism of say "The Mississippi River", that doesn't
mean it's rejected at AFD.
Can you cite a popular culture article that was rejected for lack of  outside
critcism?
I'm not even sure I know what this means.  Isn't all criticism  "outside"?

I suppose I could criticize myself.  Or are you saying "inside" would
include all popular media?

I'm not suggesting we ignore "academic" criticism in pop articles.   Only
that it has it's place as a minority viewpoint.  A movie star is not  mainly a
subject of academic debate and we shouldn't weight academic views  higher than
others, simply because they are academic or peer-reviewed in those  articles.

Pop culture articles should be mainly about describing the subject and why
the subject is notable.  Criticism has it's place, but it shouldn't swamp  the
article, but rather be treated as perhaps one paragraph out of ten.

Will Johnson