[WikiEN-l] IWF blacklist

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 07:05:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Presumably Google performs a search of image descriptions and surrounding
> texts, and gives results showing where other sites host the images. I don't
> think that Google hosts these images itself - but it would be interesting to
> see if the IWF would take the enormously public step of blocking access to
> Google in order to block access to a particular file.

Google takes the image and produces a thumbnail of it, which is what
shows in their searches. They do host that. They've even been sued for
it. For instance, this is their thumbnail version of the now infamous
album cover from our site (regular warning apply, if you don't want to
see the image, don't click the link):

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:Amv-tAsRLR7b0M:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/Virgin_Killer.jpg

Google definitely hosts these images.

--Oskar