[WikiEN-l] Who was saying quantity vs quality?

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Aug 8 19:08:16 UTC 2008

In a message dated 8/8/2008 7:30:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
michaeldavid86 at comcast.net writes:

My  suggestion was to spend more time on improving the
quality of the Articles  that exist now.>>

---------
I'm doing my part by going through our Category of claims uncited since....
2006! (yes they exist and there are hundreds of them) Trying to pare them
down.  In some cases the claims have been fulfilled, just the tag  remains.  In
other cases it's the wrong tag.  At any rate.

Wikipedia is heavily heavily weighted toward modern pop culture references.
Which probably just shows that the majority of editors are not relying on
print  sources, but on googley sources.  It's a great help that Google Books now
exist, but that still represents a very tiny percentage of references.

The other day, just as a few examples.  I was looking for references  to Eba
Anderson Lawton and we have nothing on her.  She was an author and  socialite
at the turn of the century and her father was relatively famous.   At any
rate, I had to make up my own article on my own site, just to prove to  myself
that she was someone of some importance in her day.

As another example we have no article on "Richer of Rheims" whose work is
quite important in filling the gap we had had (before he was re-discovered) on
exactly how the Carolingian era ended.  Again I had to write my own article
just to inform myself.

It would be instructive for some poor volunteer to go through say the first
50 pages of the DNB and compare the articles there to whether we even have an
article or not.  The sheer number of biographical articles we now have
swamps what the DNB tried to do, so you'd think we'd have most of them, but
somehow I think the true answer would be surprising.

Will Johnson

Read reviews on AOL Autos.