[WikiEN-l] Do NOT appeal bans, for your own sake (was Re: Admins who do not have email this user enabled (list inside))

Armed Blowfish diodontida.armata at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 21 16:26:14 UTC 2007

List of things that might help:
* Courtesy blank/delete/oversight things more liberally.
** OTRS should be a badge.
** Discuss courtesy blankings/deletions/oversights privately,
     not publicly.  (This includes BLP deletions in the article
     space.)
** Blank/delete/oversight first, ask questions (privately) later.
** Remember that courtesy blanking/deletion/oversight is not
     a sanction.
* Allow and encourage banned users to exercise the right to
   vanish.
* Hide everything except the encyclopaedia from Google.
** If Google juice is of concern, I'm pretty sure you can tell
     Google to follow links on a page but not index it.
* Don't archive heated discussions.  Bury them in the past.
   Summarise the conclusions if anything productive was
   accomplished.
* Attempt to repair relations with the 'attack sites'.  Send
   representatives.
* AMA may not have been going about it the right way, but
   there should be an organisation dedicated to providing
   help to individuals in need of help.  Editor assistance
   doesn't really fill the gap.  Start a new organisation.
* Replace Wikipaedia:Vandalism with
   Wikipaedia:Destructive_editing .  Focus on the effect on
   Wikipaedia, not the intent of the destructive editors.
   Remember even the most blatant things may be the work
   of drunkards, not guilty by reason of insanity.
* Replace Wikipaeda:Assume_good_faith with
   Wikipaedia:Assume_the_presence_of_a_belly_button .
   Just because something has some goal other than improving
   the encyclopaedia does not mean it is bad, and also, good
   people regularly do bad things, because that is human nature.
* Wikipaedia:Civility fails to differentiate between intent and
   effect.  Replace with Wikipaedia:Hurtful_comments and focus
   on the latter.  Something can be hurtful regardless of intent.
* Get rid of Wikipaedia:Wikipaedia_is_not_therapy , or at least
   rename it.  Often used as a justification for emotional harm,
   harassment, and abuse.
* Get rid of the 3RR rule and replace it with a per-article policy
   where the article is protected after a given number of reverts.
   3RR blocks are punitive, not protective of the encyclopaedia.
* Get rid of the essay on trolls.
* Demote WP:COI to an essay, just giving advice to people with
   conflicts of interest but not pressuring them to come out
   about it.
* Do not reveal a user's location after running a CheckUser.
* Make the user warning templates more polite.  In particular,
   avoid the term vandalism.
* Make the Blockedtext, Autoblockedtext, and blocking templates
   more cheerful, to avoid depressing the blocked or banned
   users.  Avoid red backgrounds and annoying red Xs.  Instead,
   try purple, blue, or green backgrounds and pretty pictures of
   onions.