[WikiEN-l] Anonymous page creation will be reenabled on English Wikipedia.

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 17:15:35 UTC 2007

On 10/27/07, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> > After a one month period, on December 9th, we will re-evaluate this
> > decision using previously established methods [...]
>
> Who is "we"? The Gregory Maxwell committee? Obviously it wasn't a Board
> decision, if Florence knows nothing about it. And if it was an executive
> decision, why isn't it being announced by Sue, or one of the staff?

Ha.

The complete series of events that caused me to write the email are
slightly complex and offtopic for this thread. Oldak Quill has found
the most effective short explanation: We means 'we the project'. The
message was written as an assertion because I felt it was reasonably
justified and expected that to be the simplest and most effective
approach.  My decision to take some leadership on this is partially a
result of my own guilt in prolonging the current situation, and
partially the result of no one else bothering to do it.

The longer story is:

I met with Sue, Mike Godwin, and Kat for a friendly "people are in
town" meeting a few hours before sending the message.

During the meeting someone (i.e. not me, I believe) brought up
anonymous page creation and there was a general discussion about why
it hadn't been undone yet. Mike suggested that the board write a
resolution making it so, Kat responded that in her opinion she didn't
think the board should decide over it since it was an enwiki decision
and not originally a board decision. Originally Anonymous page
creation was originally presented as Jimmy's sole initiative.

I pointed out that Jimmy had said that we should change back on
several occasions, spanning all the way back to Wikimania Boston.
Jimmy has also publicly stated  "And preventing anons from creating
new pages was an example of a restriction that, as far as I am aware,
has not been particularly successful."

Our meeting moved on to other topics without finding a good path to
bring this matter to conclusion.

There also seemed to be a concern that the community would oppose
making the change, but that was not a concern I shared in this
instance. This seemed to be to be one of those issues where everyone
thinks everyone else will complain but almost no one actually does.

When I got back my office I did some research, saw that the two prior
public discussions were nearly unanimous on the subject of turning it
back off and, in fact, I'd played a non-trivial role in disrupting an
effort to do so.

As such I decided to step up to move this forward. If the community
didn't like it they could blame me... I made sure that they would be
reasonably well informed and have a chance to comment, unlike some
other unfortunate recent decisions.

I didn't propose it as "lets have a debate over" partially because
we've already had public discussions (Sept 2006), and mostly because
without more information there is nothing more to debate:

"It will break things", "No it won't", "anons create bad pages",
"people who create bad pages seem to log in just fine" "there will be
more" "no there wont" ... Right now, neither side in a debate site any
strong facts to make their argument.

Why invite an unproductive discussion unless one is needed? Besides
"the unilateral statement of fact" approach is a time honored
tradition of successful enwp policy revision, and I think this one
isn't even half as unilateral as many decisions.

...Especially considering that this was originally stated to be "an
experiment", that it was pushed out without community consensus and
amid some community opposition, and that its original proponent no
longer supports it.

I selected dates that would avoid other changes which would disrupt
data gathering and which gave enough time to hold any pre-change
discussion. Other dates would have worked equally well, and in the
absence of other factors having a decision is better than not.

Had I been looking to perform this as an act of authority from above I
would have flipped to my @wikimedia.org address.

When I checked with Mike he indicated that he wouldn't see a problem
with me publicly positioning this as a direct result of our meeting,
... and I admit that doing so now would be a fun response to Tim and
Erik's somewhat sharply pointed messages, but ultimately I don't think
thats the best approach.

I did get a private query along the lines of "where did this decision
come from", which I responded to which a longer explanation. The
person who asked seemed happy with my response. I also responded
privately to Anthere's message as soon as it went out.  Hopefully
everyone elses curiosity on this point will be satisfied.

I can't help but feel a little depressed about the control battles
that go on around here ... but I am happy that the discussion on this
subject has been reasonable.

Cheers