[WikiEN-l] I suppose we had to see this news story soon enough

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 11:25:47 UTC 2007

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071022/wr_nm/wikipedia_people_dc_1

NEW YORK (Reuters) - They say if you can make it in New York you can
make it anywhere. But these days, it seems you haven't really made it
unless you have that most prized of status symbols -- your very own
page on Wikipedia.

(...)

Unlike popular networking sites MySpace and Facebook, Wikipedia
doesn't allow people to post profiles of themselves. Instead,
Wikipedia entries are earned.

"If someone is notable or successful in their field, they'll end up in
Wikipedia," Jim Wales, the 41-year-old who founded Wikipedia in
January 2001, said in an interview.

(...)

"What's on there about me is highly accurate," said Knight. "I don't
want to be taken down. Who does? I hope the people who loved me before
Wikipedia will still love me if I am taken off."

[You have to love that closing line]

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk