[WikiEN-l] Tool announcement: Alternative names redirect

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 05:48:34 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:

> I'd just take that number, round it up, and multiply it by 2-10.
> Somebody going a little crazy isn't a problem. It's just that we don't
> want somebody creating an alias for, say, all 3-8 letter words. :-)

Hmm, maybe the minimum alias length is more the issue then. A very short
alias expansion is probably a mistake though. OTOH an article reachable by
200 aliases doesn't sound normal either.

> Nice. That's a lot more work than I was thinking, but it sounds like a
> better approach. When you say search, you're thinking direct URLs and
> the "Go" button in the search box, right? I presume real searches should
> still search.

Yeah. Someday I'm hoping "go" and "search" will find harmony. Failing
that, a verb for what happens when you type a query and press "go"
would be good. I "goed" for it? Ugh.

Anyway, I've posted a proposal to Wikitech. We'll see.

Steve