[WikiEN-l] fundraising

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 13:06:25 UTC 2007

This is somewhat off-topic, but I'd like to remind all of you
hard-working stiffs who do nothing all day but argue over tiny points
of wikipedia policy and generally spends your day fighting other
editors to check out the comments left by those who have donated:

http://donate.wikimedia.org/en/fundcore_browse

It is one of my favourite distractions during fundraising season.
Instead of all that "Wikipedia can't be trusted!" and "Wikipedians are
run by an evil cabal that is out to destroy me!" you get to hear what
normal people really think about us. Like:

"Thank you Wikipedia! The best web-site and project ever!"

"Thanks for hours of interesting reading. I wish you many more years
of enlightening the world."

"Thanks for not censoring important information (e.g. civil rights)
like Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft have done in China."

"I wish I could give more."

That last one was from someone who gave $100. Some are just plain fun:

"If you think about giving to Wikipedia, ask yourself "What would Jesus do ?""

That's right, anonymous dude from the UK who gave £10, Jesus WOULD
donate to Wikipedia!

--Oskar