[WikiEN-l] fundraising

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 05:18:06 UTC 2007

On 23/10/2007, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So, bottom line, we need money to operate the websites and to do more as
> well. Those of you who were already wikipedians 3 years ago (or worse
> :-)) will remember a time where the site was slow and sometimes dead.
> Hopefully, though we grew enormously, your editing experience is now
> good 99% of the time. This does not come from nowhere. There are people
> working to make sure that we provide you the best editing and reading
> environment.

Most of the people objecting to the banner are not objecting to a
banner in principle (and certainly not objecting to fundraising). The
issue is with the way it looks and was carried out. You seem to be
presenting this issue as binary: scrolling advert or the death of
Wikimedia.

Some people are saying the banner is distracting, ugly and wasn't done
with enough communication. Shouldn't the discussion be about those
things and whether any of them present problems?

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)