[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 51, Issue 180

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun Oct 21 02:05:46 UTC 2007

On 20 Oct 2007 at 23:38:39 +0000, fredbaud at waterwiki.info wrote:
[long line rewrapped]
> Well, yes, you add little to legitimate dialog, but part of what
> you see is the contrast between the very liberal rules which
> govern this mailing list and the level of tolerance on the talk
> page of the article about a subject who is actively being
> harassed. If you have something to say about such harassment, you
> are expected to be knowledgable about it. Cla68 adopted a pose of
> naive ignorance. You like that pose too, and it is an effective
> debating technique, in fact, Socrates often used in the dialogues
> published by Plato. However, when you get down to cases, and there
> you are, in the midst of an active dispute, acting dumb, well...

This isn't the first time you've referred to my "effective debating
technique".  In fact, when I was a kid, my mom always urged me to get
on the debating team at high school because I'd be good at it;
unfortunately, my high school didn't have one, and I had to settle
for the math and quiz bowl teams.  I guess being compared to Socrates
is pretty impressive, at least if I don't dwell on the fact that his
fellow citizens voted the death penalty on him.

Your statements in that area seem to imply that I'm logically correct
in my views, but politically incorrect because those views offend the
wrong people.  Is that accurate?

--
== Dan ==