[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Fri Oct 19 21:54:39 UTC 2007

On 19 Oct 2007 at 12:20:49 -0400, "David Goodman"
<dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just come across a link to Wikipedia Review in an AN/I archive.
> It was inserted by a member of ArbCom in the announcement of an action
> of theirs to give the justification.

That doesn't surprise me.  When I was compiling evidence to present
in the recent ArbCom case, I came up with several examples of people
who clearly regarded sites such as that as horrendous scum... and who
linked to them in order to make whatever point they were trying to
make about the sites or the people who participate in them.  Being
restrained from linking to something that's relevant to a point
you're making is not something that comes naturally, even to many of
the people who find the sites in question to be repugnant.  Back
before various editors, admins, and the ArbCom began making a fuss
about linking to so-called "attack sites" about a year ago, it was
very commonplace to link to them in order to criticize them (putting
the lie to assertions, sometimes heard, that it was "always" the
common practice to ban such links and that the ArbCom was only
ratifying this "common sense" practice), and even after that it has
sometimes happened despite all the wikidrama about such links.

--
== Dan ==