[WikiEN-l] Query for all harassment-related proposals: How are you different from BADSITES?

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 12:35:50 UTC 2007

Will Beback wrote:
>> My questions for Will Beback, or anyone else in the future who
>> proposes a new policy that forbids all links to "sites that contain
>> attacks" are this:
>>
>> #1.  Do you agree that the Making Light case was an abuse of power (or
>>at least, incorrect.  .-- i.e. Do you agree Making lights should NOT
>> have been purged)?
>
>The blogger abused her power to harass Wikipedia editors. Should her
>self-published website have been removed as a result, or should she have
>been "rewarded" by adding more links to it?
>
>> #2. And if so, how will your new proposed policy prevent this sort of
>> abuse when the old policy was unable to.  That is-- if we all
>> magically decided to enact your policy today, what's to stop you (or
>> me, or anyone) from turning around tomorrow and having a complete
>> repeat of this whole fiasco tomorrow.
>
>Let me ask you - will your proposal prevent bloggers who edit Wikipedia
>from using their blogs to settle on-Wiki disputes?

So what I'm taking away from all that, in your opinion, while the
admin in the Making Lights case may have made a few minor procedural
errors (not solicting 3rd parties first, etc),  basically the actions
taken were were appropriate.   ML should have been purged, or at
least, it should have been been purged if it ultimately decided not to
self-censor?

Alec