[WikiEN-l] Most useless edit summary ever?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 06:27:37 UTC 2007

On 10/17/07, Christiano Moreschi <moreschiwikiman at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> In all fairness, this is probably a consequence of RFA's culture of "must
> use 100 percent edit summaries before passing"! People quite often write
> entirely useless edit summaries, aided by the prompt in Preferences, simply
> to pass RFA. I know I did. Post RFA, however, I realized that updating
> articles with edit summaries such as "+info" is beyond banal, so I turned
> the damn prompt off. Now most of my real contributions are without edit
> summaries. This is, I think, a good thing. Tasting the forbidden fruit
> labelled "No edit summary" keeps Wikipedia exciting.

Hmm, I got into the habit when I was considering submitting an RfA. I think
on the whole it's a good habit, even if I tend to use the same summaries
over and over: "create stub", "rd", "recat", "tyop", "c/e". I find it
frustrating when people (particularly anons) don't write anything, as it
makes it much harder to
gauge intent. When someone changes a population figure
with no summary, I suspect vandalism. A simple "update pop" would help
me believe they're acting in good faith.

Steve