[WikiEN-l] The Statistical Decline of the English Wikipedia Community

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 17:48:39 UTC 2007

On 10/10/2007, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:

> rate of the Wikipedia community has been declining.  This can be seen in the
> rate of editing articles (-17%), the rate of new account registration
> (-25%), blocks (-30%), protections (-30%), uploads (-10%), article deletions
> (-25%), etc.

Another quick addition to the lengthy list of footnotes to these
statistics - the upload rate declining is pretty much what I'd expect,
as we're getting better and better at pushing material onto Commons
and more and more of our prolific uploaders know to go there as a
first step. Note the Commons upload rate has really picked up.

The rate of short-lived dubious free image uploads is no doubt
growing, but not enough to offset this.

(I can't believe this didn't occur to me earlier)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk