[WikiEN-l] The Statistical Decline of the English Wikipedia Community

Joseph Reagle reagle at mit.edu
Wed Oct 10 23:45:38 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 10 October 2007, Steven Walling wrote:
> You're trying to make an accurate judgment based on 100k of articles
> from a 2 million article field? Don't insult our intelligence.

That might insult your intuitions, but not a statistician's intelligence --
not that I'm one. If the sampling is random and we can make some standard
assumptions, a 100K article sample size would be *overkill*, be it a 2
million or 20 million population.

On October 30, 2006 -- the last day for the WP Report statistics - I believe
the number of new accounts created was 7940 . If we look at the previous 10
months the average is 9092 with a std. dev. 608. Robert says he
notices -25% decrease, so I'm going to assume that's nearly 1985 less
account creations or 5955 account creations in his sample.

Now then, what's the chance that Robert's value (5955) was simply the result
of a freakish variation from his sample of a population that was continuing
as it was, to say nothing of continued massive growth?  (This is what I'm
inferring you to be claiming.) Impossibly small. See:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_power